Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pineapple Pie



We had the pleasure of having my parents join us for dinner last Thursday, which also happened to be Pi Day (3/14).  I had already made a couple of pies for Grant to take to a work potluck (one of which he brought home untouched.....apparently there was a huge amount of food there.  No complaints here....we got to eat the pie after all!) but I also wanted to make a pie for the family to enjoy.  

Knowing that one of my dad's absolute favorite desserts is pineapple pie, that made it an obvious choice.  
He's even requested it for his birthday dessert a time or two, so it really ranks up there for him. 
I couldn't even remember the last time I had eaten it, and I was pretty sure my kids had never even tasted it.  
I have no idea where the recipe came from originally - I know my mom made it occasionally when I was growing up, but I don't know where she got it.  It's definitely one you don't see or hear about every day, but it is a real gem.  

Of my family, Marissa was particularly fond of it....she preferred it to the Snickers Peanut Butter Pie, as did both of my parents. In fact, my parents took home a couple of pieces of each for later and let my younger brother sample them when he dropped by their house, and he preferred this Pineapple pie as well.  

It's not overpoweringly sweet or rich, but is a delightfully fruity and satisfying dessert.

Let me know if you try it!    

Pineapple Pie

Pastry for 9-inch one crust pie, unbaked
3 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup pineapple juice (drained from can)
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Prepare pastry and line pie pan.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs slightly.  Add butter, lemon juice, and pineapple juice; blend on low speed.  Add sugar, flour, and salt; beat until smooth. Stir in pineapple. Pour in pastry-lined pan.  Bake 35-40 minutes, or until pie is set.

Cool to room temperature before serving - or refrigerate and serve cold.

4 comments:

  1. These tried and true family recipes are gems indeed! This is a lovely tart and the color of pineapple is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really tasty and refreshing - perfect for spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious, Mix pineapple with eggs and butter and top with whipped cream and it must be excellent. A little tasted of the tropics--which most of us need right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dad's mother made pineapple pie sorta like apple pie, in my understanding. I never got to eat one of hers. For years, I have thought of trying to just bake one like an apple pie to see if I could match what she did.

    I found this recipe for pineapple pie in my good ole Betty Crocker Pie and Pastry cookbook. And, Dad really likes it. So, as seldom as I make pineapple pie, I make this recipe. As my dad always said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...