Friday, October 31, 2008

Chicken and Veggies in the Crockpot

Let me introduce to you one of my family's favorite dinners, which is also ridiculously easy to prepare. And frugal to boot! Can't get much better than that. I got the original idea for the chicken from Tammy's Recipes, but changed it to a crockpot recipe and added the veggies. I realize the chicken in the picture looks rather plain, with the skin removed and all, but I assure you, it is tender, juicy, and so flavorful.

Recipe:
1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
5-6 potatoes, peeled (if desired) and cut into pieces
1 large onion, sliced
1 whole chicken (whatever size you want, I like to use at least 5 lbs)
garlic salt
seasoned salt
lemon pepper seasoning
dried rosemary

Place the veggies in the crockpot (you need a pretty large one; don't ask me specifics, I don't know!). Remove chicken from package and rinse; pat dry with a paper towel. Put the chicken in the crockpot on top of vegetables breast-side up and liberally sprinkle with each of the seasonings. Don't be shy, this will end up seasoning the veggies also. Then turn the chicken over (breast-side down) and season this side just like the first. (I would guess I use at least 2 tsp of each seasoning on each side. But that is just a guess, I've never measured. Just sprinkle until you think it looks good!)
Pour in a tiny bit of water if you want, it's not necessary. Turn crockpot on to low for 8 hours, and walk away.

The result will be a mouthwatering, tender chicken, flavorful vegetables, and a delicious broth. Hey, if all of my kids love it, it must be a wonderful thing!

2 comments:

  1. We really like this dish. Actually, I am making it tonight. It certainly smells great right now. Tonight I am just using all white meat, so it might not be as juicy. But, I don't have to de-bone the chicken! Yea!
    Love,
    Mom

    P.S. You can tell I am not just a lurker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not a fan of deboning either, but it sure does taste good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...