Monday, June 4, 2012

Chicken Spaghetti, Revisited


I originally posted this recipe from the Pioneer Woman four years ago.....and while we've enjoyed it numerous times since then, I neglected to take more photos of it, despite the fact that the original was perfectly dreadful

So when I was menu planning a few weeks ago and realized it had been awhile since we've had this, I made it a huge priority to make and and re-shoot some photos, as well as share a couple of updated modifications I've made to the recipe itself.

PW recommends boiling a whole chicken, de-boning it, and cooking the spaghetti noodles in the leftover broth.  I have used that method, and it's good...but you know what?  It's a big pain in the you-know-what.
It's very time consuming to de-bone a chicken....waiting for it to cool, getting all the meat off, and inevitably one (or more) of the children will have an emergency while my hands are all greasy.  Not fun.

I've found that the dish is just as tasty (to us) if I just poach or bake chicken breasts and dice them up when they're done. 
I also only use homemade cream of chicken soup - it's really not hard and SO much healthier and cheaper than the store bought stuff.
Oh, and I use a whole package (13.25 oz) of whole wheat spaghetti - I can't stand having nearly empty boxes of pasta in my pantry.  I never end up using them. 

The end result - a creamy, cheesy casserole that will feed a crowd and please just about anybody. 


Chicken Spaghetti (adapted from the Pioneer Woman)

1 (13.25 oz) package whole wheat spaghetti or angel hair pasta, broken in half
2-1/2 cups cooked chicken, packed
2 cans cream of mushroom/chicken soup, or homemade 
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 small onion
, finely diced
1/4 cup green pepper, finely diced
1 4 oz can diced pimentos, drained
1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth (as needed for consistency)
1 t. seasoned salt
1/8 - 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cook pasta in a pot of salted water as directed on package, until al dente.  You don't want it too soft, since you'll be cooking it in the oven as well.  Drain.
In a large bowl, combine cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, 2 cups shredded cheese, onion, green pepper, and pimentos. 
Add cooked pasta and chicken broth, starting with 1 cup and adding more as needed, stirring until well mixed.  Add seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper as needed.  Spread in a 13 x 9" baking dish.  Bake at 350° for about 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.  Add remaining 1 cup cheese on top and return to oven for 5 minutes, or until its melted.
 



1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! We had this and the children loved it! I used linguine (that's all I had) and it was still great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...