Friday, June 22, 2012

Chicken Fajitas with Homemade Seasoning


We went to the zoo last weekend with Grant's parents.

It was perfect weather, and despite the zoo being busier than usual because of some special event, we had a  terrific time and ended up spending longer there than I had anticipated.

That and we had gotten a later start than I planned because of some issues Grant had to take care of with McAfee (our virus protection which had a major problem and let a Trojan get into our computer - ick.)

Anyways, I had planned on making Shredded Barbecue Chicken in the crockpot so we could have an easy dinner when we got home.
Except I forgot to make it before we left the house.....and when you get home after 3:00 pm, it's a little late to start something in a crockpot.  Genius.

Plan B.

Oh wait, I didn't have a Plan B.

All I knew was that I had a bunch of fresh chicken breasts ready to be used.  Then I realized I had a few sweet peppers hanging out in my veggie drawer that I hadn't used yet.....Hurrah!

Chicken Fajitas it was.

I based this recipe loosely on a recipe from the little cookbook that came with our George Foreman grill,  (does anyone even use those anymore?  They used to be so popular......I haven't used ours in years) but since I added a couple of ingredients, eliminated another, and changed the proportions on a couple of others, I'm claiming this as my own.

Yes, I am.

And they were dee-licious.

So yummy, in fact, that there were more people begging for the leftovers for lunch the next day than the little portion would feed by a long shot.

All the children loved them

All the adults loved them.

I'm making them again on Monday.

They were that good.

Note: If you like things spicy, add a little cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp. or so.  I knew our more sensitive palates in the house wouldn't go for that, so while these definitely have spice and flavor, they're not exceedingly hot.

Chicken Fajitas

1 T. chili powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 T. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2-1/2 to 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1-2 T. olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2-3 sweet peppers (red, green, orange, or yellow), cut into strips
Tortillas and shredded cheddar cheese (for serving)

Combine all the spices together and mix well.
Cut chicken into strips or chunks and place in a large bowl.  Drizzle with olive oil and stir to coat, then sprinkle the spice mixture over the top and mix to coat pieces evenly.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the chicken.  Brown for a couple of minutes, but before it's fully cooked through, add the onion and peppers.  Saute until the chicken is fully cooked and the vegetables are mostly tender.  Serve warm on tortillas with shredded cheese. 


Linked to Finding Joy in my Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. These look so delicious! I bet I could get my husband to enjoy these too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...