Thursday, March 8, 2012

Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries


I don't know about you guys, but we're pretty hum-drum around here when it comes to side dishes.
Let's face it. 
Life is busy, getting an entree on the table can be hard enough, and there just isn't time for being fancy about our veggies.
I mainly resort to steaming them, although roasting or boiling or sauteing are occasionally an option I choose.
I only really get fancy for holiday meals or sometimes company.

Crispy baked zucchini fries are definitely worth the extra effort, though. 

The panko adds a wonderful crunch to the tender zucchini strips inside and the seasoning takes a rather plain veggie to something really tasty. 

Grant declared them a new favorite for sure. 

Recipe: from Confections of a Foodie Bride

1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 eggs
2 T. water
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
Salt
Pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb zucchini, cut into 4-5-inch sticks


Preheat oven to 425° and line a baking sheet with parchment (or whatever non-stick method you prefer).
Place flour in a large zipper bag.
Whisk eggs with 2 Tbsp water and place in a shallow dish.
Place Panko, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish and mix to combine.
Place zucchini in the bag with the flour and shake until well coated. Dip the zucchini into the egg and then into the panko, turning to coat well.
Place breaded zucchini on the baking sheet.
Bake 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.

Serve with your favorite dipping sauce (ranch, marinara, or barbecue sauce)

They're best the first day, but to store leftovers, store in a single layer on a plate, wrapped with plastic wrap.  Reheat at 375° for 5-7 minutes, until heated through.

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to try these -- I'll have to do so this summer with our garden zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try these this summer. I like to fry mine, but baking sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to force myself to eat veggies but saw this posted on Facebook on a day when it sounded good . and these were OUTSTANDING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked them! Thanks for letting me know!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...