Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bacon Braised Green Beans


Green beans with bacon - how can you go wrong with that?

For me, they bring back memories of my grandparents, who used to cook numerous things with either bacon or bacon grease.  Good old Southern cooks, that's what they were.
 
I wanted a new recipe for beans for Thanksgiving and this was what I picked. 

We were not disappointed; in fact, Grant said this is his absolute favorite way to eat green beans now. 
I can't deny it, they're probably my favorite too.  If only they were low in fat....but I suppose they fit right in to a low-carb diet.  Which I am NOT on, nor will ever be for that matter.  But if that's the way you roll, these could be a great addition to your menus.  

I'll probably save them for special occasions, because of the extra effort and cost, but I know they'll be making an appearance on our holiday tables in the future.  

  
Recipe:  (adapted slightly from the Food Network - Emeril Lagasse)

1 T. olive oil
6 slices bacon, diced
1 cup thinly sliced onions
4 cloves sliced garlic
2 lbs. fresh green beans, rinsed, ends trimmed
1 cup chicken stock, vegetable broth, or water
1 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper

Set a Dutch oven over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is well browned, about 5 minutes. Drain all but about a Tablespoon of grease. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green beans and toss to combine with the bacon and onions.

Increase the heat to medium high and add the chicken stock. As soon as the stock begins to boil, place the lid on the pan and cook the beans for about 6 minutes. Remove the lid, season the beans with the salt and pepper, and toss well. Replace the lid and cook until the beans are tender, 1 or 2 minutes longer.

Remove from the heat and transfer the beans to a serving dish or small platter.

1 comment:

  1. This is how my family loves green beans! In fact, I keep little bits of uncooked bacon in the freezer just for this. I use frozen beans and throw them in with the bacon and cook them together.
    It's a great way to get kids to eat their beans!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...