Friday, December 2, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream


We were having guests for dinner recently and I was contemplating what to make for dessert.  As I perused my blog for inspiration, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Squares caught my eye.
I couldn't stop thinking about how fabulous those are, but I just didn't have the time to make them. 

Then I thought, "Why not make cookie dough ice cream?"  I've made cookie dough truffles before (in my pre-blog days) that were egg-free and fantastic, so I knew it couldn't be too hard to make some cookie dough ice-cream.   This was what I came up with.

The cookie dough is really wonderful - I had a hard time keeping from eating the chunks just plain. 
Had to make sure they were suitable for the ice cream, you know.  Right.

This makes a delectable dessert, which could only be made better with the addition of a chocolate swirl.  I thought about that too, but didn't have the time to make that either.  Regardless, this is one of my favorite ice creams and everyone really enjoyed it. 

Recipe:
yields: 2 quarts

Ice Cream Base: (from Cuisinart manual)
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups whole milk
1 T. vanilla extract
3 cups heavy cream

Combine sugar and milk in a large mixing bowl.  Use a hand mixer or a whisk to beat until sugar dissolves completely, which can take several minutes. 
Gently stir in the extract and cream. 
Freeze in ice-cream maker as explained in your owner's manual. 
Meanwhile, make cookie dough.

Cookie Dough: (from serving-ice-cream.com)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips

Cream butter, sugars, and vanilla until blended.
Add flour and salt.
Stir until well mixed.
Form into a long log, wrap with plastic wrap, and put in the freezer until ready to use. 
Cut off slices about 1/8" thick and cut each slice into small pieces. 
You may not need all of them in the ice cream - you can save the remaining dough in the freezer for your next batch, or just munching!

When there is about 5 minutes left before the ice cream is done, add in small chunks of cookie dough.

Ice cream will be soft-serve consistency - if you want it firmer and scoopable, put in a plastic container and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...