Monday, October 3, 2011

Peanut Butter Granola Bars


I was in the mood recently to try a different granola bar recipe.  My family still loves these Chewy Granola Bars, but since good quality honey has gotten even more expensive and harder to find around here, I wanted to find a recipe that used less than 1/2 cup.  These are a delicious alternative and were liked by my whole family, which isn't always easy to do. 

I love the peanut butter flavor and would probably enjoy chopped nuts in these as well, so maybe I'll add some next time.  The flexibilty of granola bars makes them so much fun - you can add in whatever dried fruits or chips (chocolate, peanut butter, etc) or nuts or coconut you want or have on hand. 

I also liked using a combination of oats with this recipe - it just gave them a nice texture.  I'm sure you could use 100% of either and they would be just fine, though. 

Recipe: (adapted from Allrecipes)

1 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 egg
2 t. vanilla
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
3-1/2 cups rolled or quick oats (I used 1 cup quick, 2-1/2 rolled)
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°. 
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine peanut butter, brown sugar, honey, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add in flaxseed and oats and stir to combine.  Add cranberries and chocolate chips (or other desired add-ins). 
Press into a buttered 13 x 9" pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Cut into bars after 5-10 minutes, after bars have cooled some but are still warm. 

Makes 18 bars.

4 comments:

  1. These look yummy. I've been wanting a peanut butter one!! If I don't have coconut oil can I just use regular oil? Same measurements?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, you can definitely substitute another oil, or probably even melted butter if you like. Same measurements. Good luck...hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all of your yummy posts! These granola bars look good and I am going to try them. With six children, store bought granola bars just don't last and they taste like a sugar stick, anyways. Again, thanks for your blog. I tried your candy bar cookie bars at church this weekend and everyone loved them. I'm glad I took them to church, because I would have eaten way too many! I'm afraid I have no self-control when it comes to sweets.

    I also used your train cake (Thomas) idea and made a cake for my 3 year old son last week. It wasn't Thomas, but I used the same concept. Yours looked 100% better as I can't frost well at all, but we liked it. You have such a neat blog!

    Thanks,
    Rebekah B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so tasty...have give these a try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...