Thursday, July 15, 2010

Biscuits with Chocolate Gravy

My grandma used to make a delicious, fabulous, knock-your-socks-off chocolate syrup that we normally ate over homemade vanilla ice-cream, but occasionally we would really go wild and eat it over biscuits. Fresh, from scratch biscuits hot from the oven. Talk about a decadent breakfast! Except when you eat it over biscuits, it becomes Chocolate Gravy, not syrup, so you don't feel quite so bad eating it in the morning.

As if you need to feel bad eating chocolate at any time of the day. Ha!

Well, when I saw a different recipe for Chocolate Gravy on foodgawker not too long ago, I favorited it and determined to make it sometime.

That sometime came last Saturday.
We usually eat pancakes or waffles for breakfast on Saturday....but Grant had made a double batch the previous weekend and I had been eating leftovers for about four days during the week and I was simply pancaked out.

Aha! This was my chance! I could be a rebel against the tradition and serve my family chocolate for their morning fare!

Truth be told, I don't particularly like making biscuits. It's the cutting in of the butter. I do have a pastry blender, which I dutifully use, but I just am never satisfied with the job it (I) does and the biscuits never fail to be a bit of a disappointment. This time was no different. So I will not post the biscuit recipe. Canned biscuits would be fine anyways. :)

But on to the gravy, the real reason for this post.

Yum!

I loved it....the family loved it. It was just a delightful way to start the day, and I'm sure it would be wonderful on ice-cream or pancakes or as a dipping sauce for strawberries.

I actually cooked it a bit too long (I let it boil for probably 3 minutes) to make sure it thickened up....and while it was hot, it was a very thick gravy for the biscuits, by the time it cooled, it was more like chocolate pudding. Not exactly the best for drizzling on stuff, but just great for eating straight out of the bowl! Hey, if it's pudding, you're "supposed" to eat it out of the bowl, right?

So next time I'm wanting gravy, I'll just bring it to a boil and then remove it from the heat. I think that will suffice.

Recipe - from Natalie's Killer Cuisine

1 cup sugar
2 cups milk
3 T. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
4 T butter
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt

In a heavy saucepan turn heat to high and combine sugar and milk. Sift in flour and cocoa and whisk until smooth.
Whisk constantly with mixture on medium high heat. It will boil and thicken like gravy, around 5 – 10 minutes.
When sauce is thick turn the heat off and add butter, cinnamon and salt. Whisk until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately over biscuits.



This post is linked to Finding Joy in My Kitchen's Countdown to 2011: Breakfast.  Check it out for lots of yummy breakfast fare!

2 comments:

  1. That's my kind of way to enjoy biscuits and gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for breakfast this morning. My family LOVED it. This is how I remember chocolate gravy as a child!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...