Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Facebook

Three cheers for Facebook!

I created a page awhile back mainly to keep in touch with my little sister, who's in college and totally into the Facebook thing. I figured, what better way to see pictures of the guys she likes, right?

Now I've discovered an even more gratifying reason to have an account. I'm reconnecting with people I thought I'd never hear from again. There are those old friends from high school that I haven't seen in 11 years or more that I can look up and get a glimpse into their lives now, as well as see photos of their spouses and children. It's neat because I haven't had the time, energy, or desire to invest in those relationships in the past years, but that doesn't mean I don't still want to know "What ever happened to _____?" I hope they're doing well. And now I can see for myself, without having to really commit to a friendship.
That sounds terrible.....but it's true. I only have so much time on my hands here, people. What little time I do have for friends, I spend investing in the people around me currently, not those I might see every 5-10 years.
Anyways, my newest delight was finding my college pastor and his wife, whom I haven't seen since I graduated in 1999. They're from South Africa and had come to my church to minister. They are an amazing couple, less than 4 years older than me, and were newlyweds when I met them. We had a wonderful friendship and I thought the world of both of them. Right around the time I moved away from Arkansas, they had to go back to South Africa because of some visa issues and couldn't return. I can't remember the details, but through all that, we lost touch and I could never find them.
Until this week.
We have established contact, thanks to Facebook, and I am thrilled! They have 2 beautiful children, close in age to mine. They were so excited that I found them and that they can get caught up with my life as well.
It's been a highlight of my week.
So again, Hurray for Facebook!
And if you don't have an account, get one. We can be "friends"!
And who knows. Maybe you'll find someone you've been wondering about for years too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...