Monday, October 14, 2013

Classic Peanut Butter Cookies - SRC


We are in the throes of birthday season at my house.
Meaning, three of my five children have October birthdays.
Which translates into a LOT of butter, powdered sugar, and heavy cream, with all the cake and homemade ice cream flying out of my kitchen.

You'd almost think I'd veer away from sweets for my Secret Recipe Club assignment this month. And I honestly tried.  I was assigned to Group B's fearless leader Suzanne's blog, Thru the Bugs on My Windshield.  Suzanne has a great sense of humor and some really great recipes that I wanted to try, like Salsa Verde , Chicken Asparagus Penne Pasta Salad, and Blueberry Delight Coffee Cake (which is in the breakfast category, so it doesn't count as sweets.)

In the end, I was fascinated by the idea of Apricot Empanadas and despite my tumultuous relationship with pie crust, selected them as my new recipe to try.

Unfortunately, I forgot to add apricots to my shopping list and when it came time to make them, I realized my distressing mistake.  I didn't have time this week to return to the store.....so I picked something I already had ingredients for in the pantry.  Peanut Butter Cookies.

I know, I know, everyone knows how to make peanut butter cookies.  But seriously, sometimes I get so distracted by the oreo-stuffed, salted caramel drenched, swiss meringue buttercream covered delicacies that I forget the tried and true, simple recipes.

These were awesome.
My husband loved them.
My kids gobbled them up with gusto.
And I relished the soft, slightly chewy cookies with just one prominent flavor, peanut butter.  And the little crunch of sugar on the outside sealed the deal.

Peanut butter cookies should never be forgotten.

P.S. Yes, I've tried the popular 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies - 1 cup pb, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg.  
They're good.  Great if you're in a pinch and out of flour or need to bake gluten free. But these are better.  And don't take much longer.  Really. 

P.P.S. Her recipe said to roll the dough in 1 inch balls and that you'd get 4 dozen cookies.  Apparently I'm incapable of rolling balls that size.....I ended up with just 31 cookies.  And they weren't huge, either.   

Classic Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used smooth, but crunchy would work also)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour (I used part whole wheat, part all-purpose)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Granulated sugar, for rolling

Preheat oven to 375°.

Thoroughly cream butter, sugars, peanut butter, egg, and vanilla.  Sift together dry ingredients; blend into creamed mixture.  Shape into small balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheet.  Press tops gently with a fork or meat mallet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until set.  Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet.

Makes 30-40 cookies.

Source: Thru the Bugs on my Windshield, originally from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

16 comments:

  1. cookies are always a winner with families.. These look simple and delicious,

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is nothing better than a perfect peanut butter cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, I love a good peanut butter cookie. Great fall treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love simple and delicious peanut butter cookies! Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peanut butter cookies are the best! Memories of my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone loves peanut butter cookies. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just love this classic peanut butter cookie, makes me hungry for a cookie jar to be filled. Great choice for the SRC, have a fun day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. The classics are the best! Hubby loves peanut butter and is certain to enjoy these. Great SRC selection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apricot empenadas sound great, so I will have to go check out that recipe, but you just can't go wrong with peanut butter cookies!! Yum!! And happy birthday to your three October kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my goodness! Don't you just LOVE a good peanut butter cookie - or, well, about a dozen of them with a big glass of milk?! As soon as I started reading your post, my mouth started watering. Literally. I'm so glad you all loved them! As for the apricot empanadas, they are a MUST make. I think you will have a winner with your family there, too! Happy birthday to all of the October babies!!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For real.....as my husband ate the last 5 of them, he declared, "These are the best peanut butter cookies ever." From a die-hard chocolate chip cookie guy, it was a supreme compliment. :)

      Delete
  11. Yum! We love PB cookies in my house, these look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like peanut butter cookies. I'm not sure why I don't make them more often!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...