Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips


My favorite part about summer is the fresh fruits and veggies. 
I'm ambivalent about the beach (gasps of disbelief from some of you, I know, I know)......
I detest mosquitos, and don't even get me started on the heat and humidity. 
I am not a summer gal.
But I do have a tremendous appreciation for the produce. 

Unfortunately for us, our garden has flopped miserably this year - we did get a few meals worth of green beans and my basil plant is fine, but the tomatoes just didn't work out. Sooooo sad.  Fresh from the garden tomatoes are my favorite. 

I love the abundance of inexpensive strawberries throughout the summer, also.....and decided to take advantage of them last week by making this fruit salsa.  I made it several years ago and just adored it.....and for some unknown reason, hadn't made it since.  How silly of me.

The original recipe calls for raspberries, but they're on the pricey side, so I skipped them.  You could certainly add diced mango or peaches also.....I'm sure those would be delicious.

As is, though, it is such a treat.  And the tortilla chips are a completely addicting snack on their own, crispy and sweet and very similar to Stacy's Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips, but a whole lot cheaper.

And when you scoop up some of the fresh fruit salsa on one of those chips, it's just a party in your mouth.
Love it.

Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips (adapted from Allrecipes)

2 kiwis, peeled and diced
1 Gala apple, diced
1 pound strawberries, stemmed and chopped finely
2 tablespoons fruit-only raspberry preserves (or other desired flavor) 

10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
butter flavored cooking spray
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, apple, and strawberries. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat fruit preserves until melted, about 20 seconds. Gently stir into fruit to coat evenly.  Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350° F (175 degrees C).
Coat both sides of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. (or you can spread with a very thin layer of butter if you prefer).  Cut into wedges. I just stacked the tortillas on top of each other and cut them into 8ths all at once.
Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a pie plate or large bowl.
Dredge the tortilla wedges in the cinnamon-sugar, coating both sides. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes.
Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.

Linked to Crazy Sweet Tuesday and Trick or Treat Tuesday

5 comments:

  1. Umm... typo: 'sense' should be 'since', right? Wink, wink ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I don't know how I missed that! Guess that's what happens when I'm typing with a baby on my lap!! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. A friend of mine just recently made this! Was very good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love fruit salsa--and I feel like you do about summer. Keep me in an air conditioned house and I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the fruits and vegetables in the summer. I do love the beach, but I hit a point in August when I am just ready for Fall! I hit that about 2 weeks ago...bring on the cooler temps and Fall colors!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...