Sunday, August 26, 2012

Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies


Some friends from church just had their first baby last Sunday.  A darling baby girl named Eleanor Elizabeth.  Isn't that a sweet name??
I made dinner for them yesterday - and while I was cooking, I couldn't stop thinking about when I gave birth to Corban.  Having a baby is nothing short of miraculous whether it's your first or fifth, but that firstborn is something extra special.  Everything is so new, you have no idea what you've gotten in to, and the complete awe you have of that tiny human being that you are solely responsible for....well, it's pretty much indescribable.

I remember the day we brought Corban home from the hospital - we were so excited to just get home  We placed him in his car seat carefully on the floor of our tiny living room and then....panic struck
Oh. My. Goodness. We were alone with this helpless infant and he was ours to care for.  There were no nurses to call for help, no pediatrician just on the floor below; no, it was all on us.  My milk hadn't come in yet, I refused to give him formula/bottles, and he was dependent on me for everything.  I think I might have definitely cried.

But we made it.  Heavens, the boy has feet as long as mine now and he's not even 9 years old yet.  (I wear size 8.5).  And we've had 4 more babies and somehow we've taken care of all of them!  I know that sounds a little silly, but hey, this whole parenting thing can be ridiculously overwhelming sometimes. 
But mind-blowingly rewarding, too. 

These cookies are rewarding, as well.  (not as much as children, but that goes without saying.)

I had great expectations for them - how could you not when chocolate and peanut butter are involved?  And I have to say, they did not disappoint.  In fact, they just might be one of my favorite cookies ever.  Big words, I know.  Would it help if I admitted that I ate 5 of them yesterday?  I don't know when I've had such little self control with cookies.

I modified the original by using freshly ground whole wheat flour, substituting some brown sugar for part of the white, and adding the Reese's mini pieces instead of more chocolate chips.  Truthfully, you could totally add chopped up peanut butter cups, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or pretty much any other little goodie you want and they'd be delicious.

Soft and slightly chewy, bursting with chocolate flavor, the peanut butter slightly in the background but still definitely present, and the lovely morsels adding texture and goodness, well, I just bet you'd love them too.

Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
(adapted from the Girl Who Ate Everything)
Yield: about 65 cookies (Recipe can be halved)

3 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
1 cup cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
4 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup Reese's mini pieces

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare baking sheets by lining with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
  • In a small bowl, mix flour, cocoa, soda and salt using a wire whisk and set aside.
  • In another bowl, cream butter, sugar, brown sugar and peanut butter until light and fluffy.
  • Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
  • Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and mix until combined.
  • Stir in chocolate chips and Reese's mini pieces.
  • Use a medium cookie scoop to form balls of dough (or use a rounded Tablespoon of dough)
  • Place on prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Cookies will still be soft but will set up after cooling. Place cookies on wire rack to cool.


2 comments:

  1. Those look so delicious. Love the picture! Come and visit us. We would love to share our lives with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love chocolate and peanut butter. These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...