Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins


It's always fun when one of my kiddos has to take a snack to their Wed. night church classes.  I like to try out new recipes.....kid-friendly sweets, typically, that we can share with others.  Recipes like Homemade Oreos or Melting Snowman Cookies.

Last week I decided to (gasp!) go with something a little more healthy. 
Brimming with pumpkin, apple, and raisins and made with whole wheat flour, maybe we can overlook the sugar factor and consider these a nutritious snack. 
At any rate, they were immensely popular with the first grade girls, as well as their teacher.  She made a point of finding me to rave about them, so I know they must have been enjoyed.

They're very moist, nicely spiced, and have that sweet and cinnamony streusel on top....which can be a little crumbly and messy if you're not careful, just a word from the wise there.

Recipe: adapted from Circle B Kitchen
Yield: 15-16 muffins

For topping:
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
8 Tbs sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbs unsalted butter,
softened

For muffins:
1-1/2  cups all-purpose flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
(I used regular ground nutmeg)1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1-1/4 cups of canned solid-pack pumpkin
3 oz vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs,
lightly beaten
1 apple (I used Gala), peeled, cored, and chopped into small-ish pieces (1 cup)
1 cup raisins

Prepare topping first.
Blend together flour, sugar, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl with a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease muffin pan with cooking spray.
Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice into a medium bowl.
Whisk together pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs in a large bowl. Add flour mixture, stirring until well combined. Fold in apples and the raisins.
Fill muffin tins with batter and sprinkle with topping mix.
Bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.

Linked to Crazy Sweet Tuesday

3 comments:

  1. oh, my- yummy! I have found that the apple-pumpkin combo is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great. I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my yes, these have evey one of my favorite things in them! They look incredible. I LOVE pumpkin and have no qualms about cooking with it in May:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...