Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Blueberry Breakfast Cake



Do you wanna know how to make your kids happy?

Tell them you're making cake for breakfast.

Works for me! 

This cake is just wonderful - it's sweet (but not too much so, although I think I'll reduce the sugar next time by a quarter cup just to reduce calories- we'll probably not even notice) and tender and chock full of blueberries (I always use frozen and they work out great) and I bet it would work just as well with raspberries or blackberries too.

I hate to admit it, but between my 4 (eating) kids and myself, we can pretty much put away this entire thing in one morning.  Yes, those are humongous servings.  I should probably supplement our breakfast with some other fruit or something else so we don't eat so much cake. 

Maybe next time. 

Ha. 
Recipe: adapted from Finding Joy in my Kitchen

1/4 cup (expeller pressed) coconut oil, melted OR use 3 T. softened butter
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 cup plain yogurt (or sour cream)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1-2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 375°. 
Cream together oil and sugars.  Add applesauce, egg, yogurt, and vanilla and mix gently.
In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients, and slowly add into the creamed mixture.
Mix just until moistened.
Fold in blueberries.
Spread into a lightly greased 13x9" pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.  Test for doneness with a toothpick.
Serve warm.

Linked to Trick or Treat Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. We love to have cake for breakfast!! Makes me want to make one now. Maybe for tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have successfully reduced the sugars -- no one notices :) I'm glad you enjoyed the cake for breakfast!! We love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids would be super excited to have cake for breakfast too!! I'm sure you could reduce the sugar and no one would notice because the berries are sweet enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great! I made it at night and had breakfast on the table when I woke up! (I didn't have enough blueberries so I added a cup of strawberries- reeeally good! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...