Thursday, April 5, 2012

Apple Cranberry Baked Oatmeal



I hadn't made baked oatmeal in quite awhile.

Corban usually complains about it; he prefers regular oatmeal.
Lately, my older two girls haven't been eating regular oatmeal well, either.
 
Despite it having loads of fruit and flavor, they were just tired of it and would barely take a bite, preferring to go hungry for the morning.
I refuse to give up eating oats....they're inexpensive and make delicious and healthy breakfasts...so I just had to find another way to make them interesting.

Enter this recipe.

I think all of my kids not only asked for seconds, but thirds also.
It really is that good.

It was so chock full of apples and cranberries, it almost seemed like an apple crisp that you would serve for dessert.
With a dollop of vanilla yogurt on top, it made a terrific breakfast that we all enjoyed.
Hurrah for the return of the oats!


Recipe: adapted from Finding Joy In My Kitchen

3 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted, optional
1/2 cup applesauce
2 apples, chopped
1/2-1 cup dried cranberries
Cinnamon-sugar for sprinkling, optional
Chopped nuts, optional (I sprinkled some chopped pecans on mine and loved it!)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine the oats, flaxseed, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.  Add in honey, egg, milk, oil and applesauce and stir to combine.  Fold in apples and cranberries.

Spread in a lightly greased 13 x 9" baking pan.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and nuts if desired. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and center is set.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing. i've just started making baked oatmeal. my husband says it looks like course 16 (horse grain)but tastes good. he loves apples as we all do and can't wait to try this out on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, baked oatmeal doesn't have the best of appearances - (my kids have joked about vomit, which is worse than horse feed!), but this one with all the fruit looks a little better. I hope you love it!

      Delete
  2. Oh ya, I'll have to share with my SIL. She's been looking for a baked oatmeal recipe with less sugar in it, and this one uses honey instead!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...