Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Christmas Mice



I can't even take how cute these are!

Marissa (6) saw me looking at them on a blog around Christmastime 2010 and asked if we could make them, but somehow I forgot about them and it never happened.
This year, when I saw the mice again, I knew I just had to make them with her.  I bought the ingredients and a few days before Christmas, I mentioned that we were going to make little mice.
"Oh, just like the ones we saw last year and I loved so much?" Marissa excitedly inquired.
Yes, she had remembered.

We had a lot of fun making them.....but I have to say, it's really hard to eat something so stinkin' cute!  However, we managed.

Recipe: (from Smockity Frocks)
Yield: about 28 mice

1 jar marchino cherries
1 cup milk chocolate chips
chocolate kisses
sliced almonds
Black decorating gel

Drain cherries and dry on paper towels.
Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and stir until smooth.
Dip cherries in the chocolate and set on a wax-paper lined baking sheet.
Immediately place an unwrapped chocolate kiss on the front and press together.  Add sliced almonds for the ears.  Pipe on eyes and noses with the decorating gel.
Let stand until firm, or refrigerate for faster results!

Grandma and Annika got in on the fun.

Dipping cherries

I
I thought it was fun to have the little mice all around the goodies platter, like they were nibbling away on the candy.  We also had Divinity, Hint of Berry Bon Bons, Homemade Snickers (new), and Andes Creamy Fudge (new).

2 comments:

  1. So cute!
    We're just finishing reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. My kids would love to make these...if I can find a substitute for Hershey kisses... Hmmm. I'll have to think about it for a while.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could try piping your own 'kisses' out of homemade chocolate (mix your own with some dark chocolate and a healthier sweetener, if the sweetener is the problem...) i have NO CLUE if it would work, having never tried it myself.
    Or is the problem that you can't find the Kisses?
    we made these once for a tea party - they are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...