Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fruit Pizza


It was my turn to make food for our small group from church last week, and I decided to do a pizza night.  I made 2 large pizzas in cookie sheets, one half cheese, half veggie (with zucchini, tomatoes, and green peppers) and the other barbecue chicken bacon.  For dessert - pizza again.  Yum!

I realize there are lots of variations on fruit pizza out there, so I won't make any claims that this is the best one, but it sure was delicious and popular with kids and adults alike.  I made two, so I doubled this recipe.  I think the ratio of topping, fruit, and cookie were balanced very nicely - nothing was overpowering or dominating and it was just plain good.  The cookie was nice and soft, but never got soggy.  Fresh fruit can get iffy in quality if left in the fridge for too long, so I recommend eating the leftovers by the next day.  That wasn't a problem for my family.

My kids are already begging me to make it again.

Recipe (adapted from Allrecipes, decorating idea from Finding Joy in my Kitchen)

1/2 c. butter, room temperature
2/3 c. white sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla extract
1-1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt


4 oz  cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed


Fresh fruit - I used strawberries and kiwi (peaches, blueberries, mandarin oranges, raspberries, blackberries, pineapple, mango, or most other fruits are possibilities as well!)


Preheat oven to 350°.  Lightly grease a pizza pan.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.  Add egg and vanilla and mix well.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.  Add to butter mixture and stir well.

Gently press into the prepared pizza pan.  Don't worry about getting all the way to the edges - as the cookie bakes, it will expand.  I left at least 1 to 1-1/2 inches space around the edge.

Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until cookie is lightly browned around the edges and set in the middle.  Cool completely.

Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth and creamy.  Fold in the whipped topping until well combined.  Spread over the cooled crust.  Arrange sliced fruit on top as desired.  Chill until serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. so lovely :) I'm thinking I might just have to make this again for our BBQ next week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...