Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Flower Cupcakes


Aren't these just too cute?

Yeah, I thought so too.  They're very easy to make and everyone will love them.

I took the easy route and just used cake mixes for the cupcakes, but you're certainly welcome to substitute your favorite cake recipe. 

I did not, however, resort to using store-bought frosting (which you are welcome to do, I won't judge!) because everytime I look at the ingredient list, I just cannot force myself to buy it.  And I think home-made tastes SO much better anyways. 
I did use more shortening than butter this time, because the cupcakes were for an outdoor picnic and the temperature was about 1,000° or something close to that and all-butter frosting would have dripped right off.  Ick.  Normally I use a ratio of 1:1.  Anyways.

Oh, and you're welcome to use gumdrops for the centers of the flowers if you desire, but I despise gumdrops and just could not get myself to pay money for them no matter how cute they looked, so I just piped frosting in the center of the flowers.  Extra frosting  = way better than gumdrops.  Amen.

Recipe: (idea adapted from McCormick)

1 cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box (eggs, oil, water)
1 batch frosting*
desired food colorings
1 bag large marshmallows (I used white ones and pink ones)
colored sprinkles or decorating sugar

Combine cake mix as directed on box and bake as cupcakes.  Cool completely. 
If tops are rounded, carefully slice off the tops to create a flat surface.  This helps the flower petals stay on better.
Frost the cupcakes with green frosting.
Using kitchen scissors, snip large marshmallows into 4 pieces.  Dip the cut (and sticky) side into sprinkles.
Place 5 marshmallow pieces (petals) onto each cupcake to look like a flower.  Pipe a contrasting colored frosting for the center (I used Wilton tip 17) or use gumdrops if you want.

*Frosting recipe: (if cupcakes will be outside in hot weather, increase the shortening and decrease butter proportionately)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla
1/8 t. salt
2 oz. heavy cream or whole milk

Cream butter and shortening in an electric mixer on high for 10 minutes.  It should be light and fluffy and greatly increased in volume.  Gradually add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time and mix well.  Add vanilla and salt, then add cream or milk and beat until even more fluffy.  Cover with a damp cloth when not in use.  Can be refrigerated for a couple of weeks  - just re-beat before using.


This post is linked to Picnic Recipes: a 4-Moms Link-Up

2 comments:

  1. Those are adorable! Totally agree- extra frosting over gumdrops any day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mirage, thanks! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers frosting!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...