Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Zannie's Black-Eyed Pea Dip


Trying desperately to stay a smidgen true to my southern roots and eat black-eyed peas for New Year's Day, I bought a can of them and intended to serve them plain (or drizzled with ketchup, which believe it or not, is really good).  Then I saw this recipe on the Pioneer Woman Cooks and realized that I had all the necessary ingredients and by golly, it sounded a lot tastier than plain black-eyed peas. 

Oh, it was.  Grant was a bit skeptical, I think, but he and I really enjoyed this dip.  So did my sister and her boyfriend, who got to help eat the leftovers a few days later. 

I had lots of bean dips, but never one with black-eyed peas.  While I'm sure that this one would be tasty with pinto beans or black beans, I thought the flavor of the black-eyed peas was really unique and delicious. 

Recipe:

1 (14-15 oz) can black-eyed peas
1/4 of an onion, chopped fine
1/4 c. sour cream
8 slices jarred jalepenos
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
3 T. salsa
Hot sauce, to taste
Salt and black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350°.
Drain black-eyed peas and partially mash, leaving some whole.
Add all the other ingredients and stir to combine.
Spread into a 1-1/2 qt. baking dish (I used a 9" square pan) and bake for 20-30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Serve with tortilla chips.

Note: If you have them available, you can use canned black-eyed peas with jalepenos.  Then you can omit the extra jalepenos.  I've never seen them here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...