Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Roll-Ups

I've been MIA for the past week due to a lovely visit from my younger sister and her boyfriend.  I haven't seen her in a year (and this is our first time meeting him) so blogging hasn't exactly been on my top priority list.  Today is their last day here....but I thought I'd jump on and share this delightful recipe that I tried out over the holidays.  (I'll be sharing a few photos of their visit soon.)

Chicken Enchilada Roll-ups are a great party food, no doubt about it.  They're perfect for making the day before, since they're supposed to be served chilled.  Can I just say that when I'm entertaining, it makes life SO much easier if I can make several things the day(s) before?  Those recipes that have to be completed at the last minute so stress me out.   

These are also just plain delicious.  Not too spicy, but definitely have lots of flavor and a little kick.  I enjoyed the leftovers as snacks or lunch for a couple of days.

Recipe: (from Annie's Eats)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican blend, pepper jack, etc.)
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
2 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt, to taste
Handful of cilantro,
chopped
3 green onions, chopped
10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained well
6-8 soft taco sized tortillas
Directions:
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.  Cook in a skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned and cooked through.  Transfer to a plate and let cool.
In the meantime, combine all of the remaining ingredients except tortillas in a large mixing bowl.  Mix until well blended.  Once the chicken is cool, transfer to a cutting board and chop or shred into small pieces.  Add the chicken to the filling mixture and stir well to incorporate.
Spread a thin layer of the filling mixture over a tortilla, leaving a small border clear around the edge.  Roll the tortilla up tightly into a spiral.  Place the rolled up tortilla on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to cut into 1- to 1½-inch thick segments.  Transfer to a serving platter and serve chilled or at room temperature.

This post is linked to Picnic Recipes: a 4-Moms Link up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...