Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Barbecue Chicken Bacon Pizza

This is one of our hands-down favorite meals. I try to make it at least once a month, sometimes twice. Grant is always appreciative! Our kids aren't crazy about barbecue sauce, so on one pizza I use ranch dressing (msg-free) instead. It's really good too, but Grant and I prefer the barbecue. I like to buy the barbecue sauce from Trader Joe's, because it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it. And it's really tasty.
We love leftover grilled chicken on this pizza, but if we don't have that around, I just cut up some raw chicken into bite-sized pieces and cook it in a skillet with a little barbecue sauce.

Recipe:

Crust:
2 T. yeast (or two .25 oz packages)
2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
2 T. honey or sugar
2 t. salt
6 T. canola oil or olive oil
6 cups flour (I use at least half whole wheat)

In a large mixing bowl (I use my KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook - awesome!), dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey or sugar and let it sit about 5 minutes, until yeast is frothy.

Add salt, oil, then gradually add flour while mixing. Knead by hand (or let your mixer do the work) for 6-8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise in a warm place (I like to use my oven - preheat at 350° for 1 minute then turn it off) for 20 minutes. In the meantime, prepare toppings.

Toppings:
1-1.5 lbs chicken, cooked as desired and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/2 med. red onion, chopped
9-10 strips turkey bacon, cooked (I bake them on a foil-lined cookie sheet in the oven at 400° until crispy) and chopped
Barbecue sauce as desired
Ranch dressing (if desired)
4-5 cups mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450°.
Divide dough into two portions.
Roll into circles and press into 2 greased pizza pans (I have a 14" and a 12" pan).
Spread desired sauce on crusts; put on the chicken, onion, bacon, and cheese and bake for 11-12 minutes, switching pizza positions halfway through.


Note: This crust is a bit on the thick size, but that all depends on how big your pans are. We like it thick!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...