Friday, November 6, 2009

Caramel Apple Bars

I got this from Allrecipes a couple of years ago and just made it for the second time last week. These are so delicious! Even my chocolate-loving husband thinks they're great. The only exception was my 2-year old....who has seemingly found the one dessert she doesn't like. Maybe it's a texture thing. I dunno. But our friends who ate them had nothing but compliments.
This time of making them, I only had half a bag of caramels in the pantry, but I also had nearly a full jar of caramel ice cream topping. I just mixed them together to pour on the apples. Tasted great! However, if you were to use only ice cream topping, I'm guessing your finished product would be more gooey (not necessarily in a good way) and not hold together as well.

Note: I have only served these cold because they'll hold together in a bar shape and be a finger food better that way - but I know they would be amazing served warm with some vanilla ice cream. I may have to try that next time.

Recipe:

1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
2-3 T. milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 1/2 cups apple - peeled, cored and chopped (I used 2 large Granny Smith and 1 Gala)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter until smooth. Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, oats, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Set aside 2 cups of this mixture. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a medium bowl, toss apples with lemon juice, then toss them with the 3 tablespoons of flour. Spread the apple mixture evenly over the prepared crust. In a small saucepan over medium heat (or in the microwave), melt caramels with milk, stirring frequently until smooth. Pour the melted caramels evenly over the apples. Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture over the top of the apple layer. Press down lightly.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is golden brown and the apples are tender. Cool in fridge before cutting and refrigerate any leftover bars.

1 comment:

  1. That looks wonderful!

    I have a giveaway on my blog. To get to it click on the WHAT AM I? GIVEAWAY picture in one of the right sidebars.
    theprovidentwoman.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...