Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Homemade Chili Seasoning

My tip for the day is a recipe I just found last week for homemade chili seasoning. I'm making a genuine effort to clean up our diet and eliminate certain preservatives, sweeteners, etc (more in another post later), plus it's just cheaper to make your own seasoning mixes. I found this on Allrecipes (called Chili Seasoning Mix II), but modified it based on what I had. This is my version.

Recipe:
2 T. flour (I used whole wheat)
2 T. chili powder
1 T. crushed red pepper
1 T. dried minced onion
1 t. garlic powder
2 t. white sugar
2 t. ground cumin
2 t. dried parsley
2 t. salt
1 t. dried basil
1/4 t. ground black pepper

Stir all together. Store in an airtight container. I used 2 T. of the mix to season 1 lb of meat for our chili. (quick chili recipe: 1 lb ground turkey, browned with a chopped onion, add seasoning and 2 cans of chili beans and 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes or chili-ready diced tomatoes. Add a little water or a small can of tomato sauce if you want it thinner. Simmer as long as you want!)

I was very pleased with how tasty it was and will definitely keep it on hand.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...