Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Slow Cooker Barbecue Pork


It's no secret that I love using my slow cooker in the summer. And winter. Okay, basically anytime. 
So convenient and easy. 

While we don't eat pork very often, this has become one of our very favorite ways to eat it. The entire family gets excited when I make this, and that's saying something. Very few recipes in my arsenal illicit such enthusiasm from 7 people. 

So what makes it special?

Apparently not the bourbon.  Ha.  See, this recipe is originally entitled Bourbon Pork - but we never have bourbon in the house and I just used water (through rinsing out the ketchup bottle) instead. It tastes so fabulous, I can't imagine bourbon making it any better. But if that's up your alley, give it a shot. 

But really, it's so simple to throw together. The longest part of it is trimming the fat from the pork. If you get a pork loin, even that is pretty fast.  However, I will say, as much as I love the easier trimming of a pork loin, the pork shoulder roasts are a little more flavorful and less likely to dry out.  You can't go wrong with either one, though. 

The sauce is slightly sweet with a little tang and complements the tender pork perfectly. 
I do recommend toasting your buns a little; otherwise, the bottom bun gets soggy pretty quickly from all the dripping sauce.  Or just eat it as soon as you make it.  No letting it sit around!! 

The leftovers are equally good and some people might have even been caught sneaking some bites straight from the bowl right in the refrigerator.  

Slow cooker Barbecue Pork
from Rebekah's Family, Food, and Fun

1 3/4 cups ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water (or bourbon, if you prefer)
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
4 lbs boneless pork roast, trimmed of as much fat as possible

Place all sauce ingredients in slow cooker and mix.  Add pork and turn to coat.  Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.  Remove pork and shred with two forks.  Return shredded pork to slow cooker and cook an additional 30 - 60 minutes.


Source: adapted slightly from Lemons for Lulu

3 comments:

  1. Pinning this:) May I ask how many this serves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pin! How many it serves really depends on how many kids vs. adults you're feeding - and also, how big exactly your roast is. The last time I made it, I used a 5+ lb pork loin (same amount of sauce). With the fat trimmed, it was probably around 4 lbs. It served my family of 2 adults and 5 kids for two dinners, plus a couple of lunches. So maybe 10-12 adult size servings? Just a guess. Sorry I can't be more specific....it also depends on how hungry your people are and what sides your serving with it! If my husband is really hungry, he can easily put away 2-3 large sandwiches.
    My best advice is to make extra if you have any doubts, because you'd rather have too much than too little and the leftovers are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so so good! We haven't had BBQ pork in awhile, and after seeing this, I think I need to do something about that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...