Monday, March 17, 2014

Spicy Corn Chowder with Chicken - SRC



Happy Saint Patrick's Day!  (And Happy Birthday to my younger sis, Anna!)

So this isn't exactly an Irish recipe - but it does have potatoes in it, so that has to count for something.

And, I got the recipe from the blog of a lovely lady from England......which is neighbors with Ireland, so that has to count for something too. (little bit of a stretch there, I admit it)

For this month's Secret Recipe Club assignment, I had the pleasure of visiting Sarah's Kitchen.  Although Sarah is originally from England, she has been living in the States for 12 years and has been an American citizen for four.  She loves crafts and couponing, as well as cooking and baking.

She has a wide variety of recipes on her blog - one that I found particularly alluring was the Processor Danish Pastries.  I actually made them over the weekend with some variations on the fillings and absolutely loved them - but I failed miserably at getting the dough to stay pinched closed and the pastries were....shall we say....messy looking.  Certainly not photogenic.  But totally mouth-watering and irresistible.  I can't wait to try again with that dough.  It was so easy and flaky, buttery perfection.

But that was okay, because I had already made another recipe from her blog that I loved as well.  This chowder is so flavorful with the variety of peppers, but overly spicy.  Although my son thought I was crazy for pureeing part of the mixture, it really helps to thicken it up and make it more chowder-like and not as much of a brothy soup.   It's hearty, satisfying, and just perfect for a chilly evening.   I loved the little chunks of browned chicken breast in there, as well as the crispy bacon on top, but you could certainly make this vegetarian with equally good results, I'm sure.

Spicy Corn Chowder with Chicken

4 slices of bacon 
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
4 cups corn (frozen or fresh)
4 small/medium potatoes, diced
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme (or 3/4 tsp. dried thyme)
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 cups cooked and diced or shredded chicken (I just seasoned a couple of chicken breasts with salt and pepper and sauteed in a bit of oil in a frying pan until cooked through)


Cut the bacon into strips and fry in a large dutch oven until crispy; set aside.  If you used turkey bacon like I did, you might need to add a little oil to the pan - if you use regular bacon, drain grease, reserving 1 Tbsp.
To the reserved fat, add the onion, jalapeno, poblano pepper, red pepper, and corn. Cook for about 5 minutes.  Add in the thyme and season with salt and pepper. Add in the potatoes and broth.  Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.  Transfer half of the soup to a blender and puree.  Add back to the soup pot and add in the milk, heavy cream, and cooked chicken. Let simmer for a few minutes.  Top each bowl with some crumbled bacon.

Adapted slightly from Sarah's Kitchen

16 comments:

  1. Potatoes count! :) This recipe looks delicious Rebekah! Great SRC Choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! This sounds so good....I am a complete fan of spicy! This recipe will be a hit at my house...great SRC selection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spicy is good, especially when it's cold out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great--I like the spicy kick

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks absolutely delicious - I would love to make it but my husband hates corn unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have trouble with those pastries holding their shape as well. The soup looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! I wish I had a bowl of it right now. It's so grey and gloomy today. Thanks for sharing with the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This soup looks spicy and delicious. Great looking recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Corn chowder is one of my favorites! Great twist on the recipe, can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's still cold in these part and this soup looks fantastic. I'm new to SRC and enjoying seeing what everyone has made - fun group!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That recipe is definitely a good I will be making them! Everybody loves discover delicious new recipes…
    Chef For Hire

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its cold and dreary here - I could totally go for a bowl or two of this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet the pastries were awesome, but that soup looks so delicious, and so perfect for this crazy winter we've been having. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This recipe looks so delicious, thick and hearty-pass me a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the way this recipe sounds and I will be trying this very soon Thanks for sharing Sarah !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...