Monday, August 12, 2013

Lemon Zucchini Bread - SRC


This month I had the pleasure of getting introduced to Lea Ann from Cooking...On the Ranch for my Secret Recipe Club assignment. Lea Ann lives in Colorado and has seriously one of the best views in the entire world from her little town.  You HAVE to click over to her About page to see it.  Go ahead....I'll wait.

Didn't I tell you???  Looks like a little piece of heaven to me. I need to go on vacation there.

So I was tempted by so many recipes on her blog - from Chicken Macaroni Salad (definitely making that one soon - I bought the ingredients for it, just haven't gotten to it yet) to this mouth-watering Baked Zucchini and Tomato side dish.....but I had some organic zucchini that was desperately calling to me from the bottom drawer of the fridge to be used soon, and I had never tried Lemon Zucchini Bread before, so that was the big winner.

I was the designated "snack-bringer" to my ladies' Bible study that week, so I decided to double the recipe and share this treat with friends.  And I must say, it was a HUGE hit.  I got loads of compliments from the ladies and kids alike.....and everyone was super surprised that the bread had zucchini in it.

That's mostly because of an error I made.

See, I just got my first food processor a few weeks ago and was super excited to use it to shred the zucchini. Sooooo much faster than hand-grating it, right?
But silly me, I neglected to take the blade out of the bottom of the processor, so the zucchini got not only grated, but basically pureed.  It was a nice, fine pulp.

I just tossed it in the bread anyways and it essentially disappeared.  I don't think anyone would have guessed that there was zucchini in the bread - but it definitely did its magic of adding moisture to the bread.

The best part was the glaze - the tangy, vibrant lemon glaze.  It just made the bread explode with flavor.

You really have to try it - Lea Ann swore it was amazing and she was Oh. So. Right.
Definitely double the recipe - you'll be so glad you did.

Next year I am totally planting some zucchini in my yard so I can make this bread all summer long.


Lemon Zucchini Bread
Adapted slightly from Cooking...On the Ranch
(makes one 9x5" loaf)

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil (I used expeller-pressed coconut oil)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 Tbsp. lemon juice)
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup grated zucchini

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
Juice of half a lemon (or 1 Tbsp. lemon juice)

Preheat oven to 350°.
In a large bowl, blend flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat 2 eggs well, then add oil and sugar and blend well.  Add the buttermilk, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir to combine.  Fold in the zucchini.
Add wet mixture to dry mixture and blend gently; don't over mix.
Pour batter into a greased 9x5" loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl - add more juice or sugar if necessary to make a good drizzling consistency.  You don't want it really thick, but super liquidy isn't good either!  Spoon glaze over bread evenly and let set before serving.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Rebekah! I was assigned your blog! I made your lemon pepper salmon, but I used cod instead. It was incredible. I love your blog and all of your recipes look delish! Your cakes are simply gorgeous!!!

    Love the lemon zucchini bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loves anything lemon. The bread looks delicious and especially the glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I like the lemon twist on a zucchini bread. And glaze will make everything that much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebekah this looks delicious! Love lemon and zucchini :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought of making both a lemon and zucchini bread - I bet this was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I've made plain or chocolate zucchini bread, but never lemon. It's awesome!

      Delete
  6. What a great write up and thanks for sending everyone over for that view. I have to agree it's quite spectacular. What a great choice for SRC. That lemon bread is incredible and yes, the glaze is a must. I've not made any yet this year, but the next batch of zucchini that lands in my possession will find this on my table. Nice meeting you through SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I make a similar recipe but for some reason I always shred my zucchini by hand. I'll need to use my food processor next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rebekah,
    We still have lots of Zucchini and this will be a perfect bread to try. I love the lemon flavor. It is always fun cooking with you on the SRC!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know... I always shred my zucchini by hand, but puree-ing it might actually be a fun change - definitely hides it better! LOL. Delicious choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bread looks so good, I have used so much zucchini this summer and have been trying to come up with new ways to use it... I haven't made any bread with it yet though! This looks wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I also made a recipe with zucchinis this month (zucchini muffins) and I love the idea of adding lemon to this bread.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made a lemon zucchini bread a few weeks ago. I love the two flavors together. Your bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds and looks amazing. I'm pinning it. I actually always puree my zucchini so my kids won't know it's there:).

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks delicious!!! Can't wait to try it =D
    (Wish I could have been at your Bible study-miss you friend).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have so much garden zucchini to use up! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks so beautiful. I love lemon cakes and I like the addition of zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never thought to make a lemon zucchini bread! Sounds great. :) (And nice way to hide the zucchini. :P)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...