Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Teriyaki Chicken (Gluten Free/Dairy Free)


I am extremely thankful that we don't have any food allergies or sensitivities in my family (other than me with avocados...so weird....and unfortunate).  

However, I know there are so many families that have to deal with various issues with food and it can get so complicated.  I recently had the pleasure of making a meal for a friend from church who had just given birth to her 5th boy...and was told by the meal coordinator that they needed a dinner that was wheat-free and dairy free.

Wow.  That ruled out nearly every recipe I normally make.  I am a big believer in the value of butter....and cheese....and I love pasta, biscuits, breads.....oh, you know.  And the desserts.  Eliminating dairy and wheat leaves the options pretty sparse, unless you go to a specialty store to buy some unusual ingredients like xanthum gum or sorghum flour.  Sure can't find those at Walmart.

Anyways, I ended up making BBQ meatballs (with water instead of milk), Confetti Rice and Bean Salad, roasted green beans, and a fruit salad with strawberries, grapes, and blueberries.

Brainstorming what to make for them helped me realize that it's a really good idea to have a running list of gluten and/or dairy-free recipes from which to choose, should the need arise.

This meal definitely makes the list for me.
 
It's a really simple dinner, just requires some time chopping and cutting veggies and meat and a little time stir-frying it all.  But it comes together beautifully and was a hit with everyone in my family, including Grant's parents.  It's flavorful and slightly sweet - and the best part - all of the ingredients are nearly always in my kitchen.  So it's an easy go-to meal when plans go awry and I need a back-up, stat.

What are some of your gluten or dairy free favorite recipes?

Teriyaki Chicken (Gluten and Dairy Free)
from Angela's Kitchen

1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
oil for cooking (I use expeller pressed coconut oil)
4 carrots, sliced thinly
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
2 cups broccoli, chopped
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup gluten free soy sauce (reduced sodium)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 T. cornstarch or arrowroot
salt and pepper, to taste
Cooked rice, for serving

Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Season chicken with salt and pepper, then saute it until browned and cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.  In the hot skillet (add a little more oil if necessary) stir fry the carrots and onions for several minutes. Once they're crisp/tender, add the broccoli and garlic and cook a couple of minutes longer.
Add the chicken to the skillet with the vegetables.  In a medium bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, and brown sugar.  Add 2/3 of the mixture to the skillet.  Bring to a boil.  To the remaining liquid, add the cornstarch and whisk until smooth. Add to the boiling mixture in the skillet and stir constantly until thickened.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over rice.

1 comment:

  1. Good job in making a meal to order! You are so kind, I'm sure the new mom appreciated it. I just made a meal for a family that is vegetarian. But they do eat dairy so I was able to make a vegetarian lasagna that turned out quite yummy. It is always nice to stretch out of ones comfort zone.
    On a side note--I am allergic to avocados too! Boring huh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...