Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Oreo Rice Crispy Treats


We had a church fellowship meal recently and I decided to make two desserts.
I had noticed a "trend" the past two fellowship meals of there being plenty of main dishes, but very few desserts.....and.....well......that just wasn't acceptable to me.
I think there ought to be enough for each person in attendance to have at least one of some sweet treat.

I had already made a batch of these bars...(which turned out just as good as I remembered them) and was considering what to make for the second dessert.....when I suddenly realized that I had marshmallows and crispy rice cereal in my pantry (which doesn't always happen) and half a bag of Oreos left over from the other dessert.

Um, yeah....that sounded good.
And easy.
Since I was also making 6 pizzas and hosting a birthday party for my mom that night, I needed something easy.

Most people like rice crispy treats, plain or otherwise.  Adding Oreos in there makes them extra fun and delicious.

Note: I like the treats to be a little thicker than the standard recipe  - so I use more than one package of marshmallows and more cereal.  If you only have one 10 oz bag of marshmallows, use 3 Tbsp. butter and 5-1/2 cups cereal.

Oreo Rice Crispy Treats

15 oz. marshmallows (1-1/2 bags)
5 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 cups crispy rice cereal
~15 chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos), roughly chopped

Spread a light layer of butter over the bottom and edges of a 13 x 9" pan.  Set aside
In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt the marshmallows and butter over low heat, stirring constantly.  As soon as it is smooth, remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla.
Immediately pour in crispy rice cereal and cookies, stirring to coat evenly.
Press into the 13 x 9" pan.  If mixture is too sticky to press well, get a little water on your hands and it should be much easier.
Let set at room temperature until cool.  Cut into squares and serve.

3 comments:

  1. These look yummy. I'm wishing I had Rice Krispies here in the house right now. :) I hope you and family are doing excellent! I love that you have a blog so we can see what you're up to. Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to the OReos! they make rice crispy treats gourmet! I like to add all peanut butter, white chocolate, mini M&M's--so many options!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely is not acceptable to only have a few desserts!! At least that's how I feel. ;) These oreo rice crispy treats were probably a great hit! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...