Friday, February 15, 2013

Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes


I have a never ending list of desserts I want to try, just because I love desserts.
And I'm a food blogger, so I always want new material to write about. 
Considering those two facts, there are many fabulous desserts that I have made once and
absolutely adored, but rarely (if ever) get around to making again.

That will not be the case with this dessert.

I can't even tell you how amazing it is.  
So rich and chocolaty, with a slightly firm and chewy exterior and edges, and a
warm, decadent, fudgy center just oozing out to coat every bite......
Grant's words as he sampled his first bite:
"You have GOT to be kidding me!"
He was simply astonished that a dessert so simple could be so delicious.

I think the best way to prepare it is to make the batter and pour it into the ramekins ahead of time. While 
you're eating dinner, pop them into the oven. When they're ready, everyone should be finished with dinner and ready for dessert.  And believe me, when you smell these baking, you'll find room for dessert, no matter how full you are. 

Oh, and I have a confession.  I actually made them with the wrong amount of chocolate and didn't realize it until I was in bed last night, thinking about the recipe. 
See, it calls for 6 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, and 2 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate. 
The Ghiradelli bars of bittersweet chocolate are only 4 ounces, so I had decided beforehand to use 4 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate instead of buying another bittersweet bar and only using half of it.  
Well, when I was actually baking it, I forgot to add the extra 2 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, so my end result was 2 ounces of chocolate short.  
And you know what?  
You never would have known. 
 I can't imagine them being any better than they were.  
But hey, maybe next time I'll add that extra chocolate just to see. 

I did not use any liqueur in my recipe - but I can't wait to try the raspberry version.  I'm sure it's just fabulous.

Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes 
(adapted slightly from Glorious Treats, originally from Paula Deen)
Yield: 6-8 cakes

6 (1 oz) squares bittersweet chocolate (I used 4 - a Ghiradelli bar)
2 (1 oz) squares semi sweet chocolate (I used Bakers)
10 Tbs. butter (salted)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 large eggs
3 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbs. orange or raspberry liqueur (optional)
Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)

Preheat oven to 425°F. 
Grease 6 (6 oz) or 8 (4 oz) custard cups/ramekins.  
Melt the chocolates and butter in the microwave or in a double boiler.  Add the flour and sugar to chocolate.  Stir a few times.  Add the eggs and egg yolks and stir until smooth.  Stir in the vanilla and liqueur if using.  
Divide the batter evenly among the ramekins.  Place on a baking sheet and bake for 14 minutes if using 6 dishes, 12 minutes for 8 dishes.  The edges should be firm but the center will be jiggly or runny.  
Cool for a couple of minutes, then eat directly from dish or run a knife around the edge to loosen and invert cakes onto dessert plates.  
Dust with powdered sugar before serving, or dollop with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.  



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh, they are! But at least you have automatic portion control! :)

      Delete
  2. Would it be ok to bake these in muffin tins? I don't have ramekins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that...but honestly, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. I would just fill them about 3/4 full and make sure they're well buttered. Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
    2. These work perfectly in muffin tins--that's all I use. This recipe would make about 15 muffin size cakes. I bake them 10 minutes. I have cut the recipe down on my blog--I make 5 muffin size cakes (that's more than enough for the two of us)! I must admit I have eaten a left over cake for breakfast. They do set up a bit but hey they are still more than delicious.

      Delete
  3. Yummy! I've been wanting to try making a lava cake :) Looks so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed--this is one delicious recipe, worth making over and over! I served these at book club last month, they were a hit.
    When my married kids visit it is often a late night treat because you can make it so quickly. I'm hungry just thinking about this yummy dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went on a cruise last year and had a similar cake that knocked my socks off ... I've tried recreating it a few times but it's never "just right". I think I'm gonna try your recipe and see if it hits the spot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...