Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Sweet Potato (or Pumpkin) Banana Cake


I know that pumpkin recipes are all over the place this time of year - and I adore pumpkin like nobody's business.  I refuse to wait for fall to make pumpkin goodies - I make them all year around.

In the past, I have cooked and pureed my own pumpkin and saved it in 2 cup portions in the freezer for whenever I needed it - but in the past couple of years, I've actually started using sweet potatoes instead.

Thanks to my blog friend SnoWhite, I learned that sweet potatoes make an excellent substitute for pumpkin in just about any recipe, and since sweet potatoes can be bought for ridiculous bargains around the holidays, I stock up and make a bunch of puree - for a significant savings over canned pumpkin or even homemade pumpkin puree.

We were cleaning out our freezer recently and I discovered several ziplock baggies of my sweet potatoes hidden away and was inspired to make something.  This cake was the perfect choice.

It's moist and wonderfully spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg - and the banana and sweet potato flavors combine surprisingly well together.  Although it would be very good just plain - or even made into muffins - the cream cheese frosting takes it to a whole new level.

Because, as we all know, cream cheese frosting rocks.

And I love recipes that get extra veggies into my kids - even if it is through cake.


Sweet Potato (or Pumpkin) Banana Cake (adapted from Whipped)

2 eggs
3 small bananas, mashed
1-2/3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup expeller pressed coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (or plain)
2 cups sweet potato puree (or canned pumpkin puree)
2 cups white whole wheat flour (or all purpose flour)
2-1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. salt
1-1/4 tsp. baking soda

Frosting:
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup (4 T.) softened butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease a 13 x 9" pan.

Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, mashed banana, sugar, oil, yogurt, and sweet potato (or pumpkin) until light and fluffy.

Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and baking soda.

Add the dry ingredients to the sweet potato mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth.

Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean with most crumbs clinging to it.  Let cool completely before frosting.

Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.  Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined.  Stir in the vanilla and mix again.

Spread on cooled cake.


Linked to Crazy Sweet Tuesday and Crumbs and Chaos/ Seasonal Inspiration

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the sweet potato substitution! This cake looks awesome - and really moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to trying this recipe - I also love pumpkin and can eat it year round! Thank you for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy. I guess I will have to get some bananas and sweet potatoes this week. Copied and pasted it. You need a Print button... also subscribed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Click on Share and you get a print option. Then choose which pages you want to print

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet tasting is the cake with full sugar amount, but no icing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely sweet, but not sickeningly so. That being said, I have a ridiculous affinity for sweets and may not be the best judge of that. :) You could definitely reduce the amount of sugar if you wanted to make sure it wasn't too sweet - and use plain yogurt instead of vanilla. Hope that helps!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...