Thursday, February 25, 2010

Beef Stew



There are many variations on beef stew out there - some have peas, some green beans, some mushrooms, some rice, etc etc. I make one very similar to what my mom has always made and I considered one of my favorite foods growing up. It still is one of my favorites, especially during the cold winter months.

It isn't hard to prepare, it just takes a little time to cut up everything. My mom usually made it on the stovetop, but I just use my slow cooker. Speaking of which, I'm hoping to get a new one soon. My 6.5 qt. one just isn't big enough anymore. When I make dinner, I like to make enough food for us to have two meals out of it. This recipe of stew actually overflowed my pot. I had to remove some of the liquid and still had a huge mess on my hands.

Anyone have recommendations on good 8+ quart slow cookers?

I'm considering this one.


Recipe:
3-4 lb boneless roast
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 t. garlic salt
1 t. onion powder
1 t. black pepper
2 T. oil, divided
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
1 lb. carrots, chopped
5-6 medium potatoes, chopped
2 (28 oz) cans tomatoes, crushed, diced, however you like them
5 t. (or cubes) beef bouillion
1 (28 oz) can water (use one of the tomato cans) Use less liquid if you have a 6.5 quart or smaller crockpot!!!
salt and pepper to taste - I used 1/2 t. garlic salt and 3/4 t. kosher salt

Trim roast of excess fat and cut into bite-sized pieces. In a large bowl, mix the flour, garlic salt, onion powder, and pepper. Add the meat pieces and toss to coat thoroughly. In a large stockpot, heat 1 T. oil. Add half the meat and brown on all sides, 1-2 minutes. Remove and repeat with remaining oil and meat. Put chopped vegetables, meat, tomatoes, beef bouillion, water, and salt and pepper in the crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...