Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pepperjack Pizza



I made this last night for dinner, and everybody, even picky Marissa (2.5) thought it was delicious. I got the original recipe from Tammy's Recipes, but altered it a bit. Here's my version.

Recipe
Crust:
2 T. yeast (or 2 .25 oz packages)
2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
2 T. honey or sugar
2 t. salt
6 T. canola oil
6 cups flour (I use at least half whole wheat)

In a large mixing bowl (I use my KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook - awesome!), dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey or sugar and let it sit about 5 minutes, until yeast is frothy.

Add salt, oil, then gradually add flour while mixing. Knead by hand (or let your mixer do the work) for 6-8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise in a warm place (I use a preheated but off oven) for 20 minutes. In the meantime, prepare topping.

Topping:
1 lb ground turkey (or beef if you prefer)
1/2 cup chopped red or green pepper (optional)
one onion, chopped (optional)
1 t. garlic salt
2 t. chili powder
2 t. cumin
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. onion powder
1 cup (8 oz) pizza sauce (I used one 8 oz can tomato sauce mixed with 1 t. oregano, 1/2 t. basil, 1/2 t. sugar, 1/2 t. paprika, 1 1/2 t. dried minced garlic, and a sprinkle of onion powder)
2 cups (8 oz) pepperjack cheese
2 cups (8 0z) mozzarella cheese

Brown turkey with onion and pepper until browned. Drain grease. Add spices and a few Tablespoons of water and cook 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450.
Divide dough into 3 portions - one smaller than the other two. Put the smaller one aside, I'll tell you what to do with it in a minute.
Roll the 2 equal portions into circles and press into 2 greased pizza pans (I have a 14" and a 12" pan).
Divide sauce between crusts; put on the meat and cheese and bake for 11-12 minutes. I used my convection option and the pizza on the bottom rack was done after 7 minutes, the other one had to bake a few minutes longer.

Now for that leftover piece of dough. Roll it out into a large rectangle on a large cutting board.
Spread with butter or margarine, then sprinkle liberally with cinnamon. Spread a nice thick layer of brown sugar over that. Roll up tightly from a long side and cut into cinnamon rolls.
Place in a greased loaf pan and let rise a few minutes.
Turn the oven down to 375 and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until browned and done. Turn out immediately onto a plate.
Sometimes I make a glaze out of powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk and drizzle over the top. This time I didn't. Still tasted great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...