Monday, May 23, 2011

Candy Bar - Cookie Bars


I really don't know why I do this to myself.  

I'm determined to gain less than the typical 35-40 lbs that I normally gain during pregnancy because I'm not 25 anymore and can't lose the weight in 12 weeks by eating everything I want and doing nothing but breastfeeding.  Yeah, that's how it was with my firstborn.  Not anymore.  Not even close.  

It's all because we were invited to some friends' house for dinner.  Do you know how often a family with four kids gets invited to someone's house?  (even when there's not food involved?)  Not so often.  These are some of our dearest friends and they've had us over numerous times, God bless 'em.  So of course, we accepted.  And since they're familiar with my affection for baking, I was asked to bring dessert.  

I had favorited this recipe on foodgawker  months ago and it caught my eye when I was browsing through my eye candy.  This was my chance!  I could make them to share! 

Oh my goodness.  These have to be one of my favorite bar/cookie desserts ever.  Ever.  A chewy cookie-like oatmeal peanut butter layer is topped with crunchy peanuts and a thick layer of peanut butter flavored chocolate that tastes just like a Mr. Goodbar, which is then topped with more peanuts and chocolate and peanut butter chips.  Good grief.  

I can't keep out of them.  

They keep wonderfully in the fridge, although they cut much better if you let them sit at room temperature for 20 minutes or so.  If you leave them out for hours, the chocolate layer will get soft and be extremely messy, while still delicious. 

As much as I love them, I will not allow myself to make them again unless I am assured that most of them will be eaten by other people and not stuck on my hips.  

Recipe: (from Recipe Girl)

Cookie Layer:
1 cup (packed) brown sugar
2/3 cup butter (about 10.5 T)
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 t. vanilla extract
3-1/2 cups rolled oats (quick cooking or regular - I used regular)

Candy Bar Layer:
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (12 oz)
1 cup peanut butter chips
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup chopped peanuts

Topping:
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/3 cup chopped peanuts

Preheat oven to 375°.  Line a 13x9" pan with foil; spray foil with nonstick spray.

In a medium saucepan, stir brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup over medium heat until combined.  Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla; stir until smooth.

Place oats in a large bowl.  Pour brown sugar mixture over oats; stir to combine.  Press oat mixture onto the bottom of prepared pan.

Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden.  Don't overbake (you don't want it to brown) or it will be on the crunchy side.  Let the cookie layer cool for about 15 minutes on a wire rack.

In the same saucepan, stir chips and peanut butter over low heat until melted and smooth.

Sprinkle 1/2 c. chopped peanuts over the baked cookie layer.  Pour chocolate over the peanuts; spread to make an even layer. Sprinkle chocolate and peanut butter chips and peanuts over the top; press lightly into the chocolate layer.

Refrigerate until firm; cut into squares.

Yield: about 30 pieces

4 comments:

  1. Wow these look fantastic! I have been using the excuse of pregnancy for extras. You are good to plan ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know if it will work out for me. I have such a weakness for sweets and my body likes to pile on the weight when I'm pregnant no matter what I eat....so we'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! Like you though, I definitely will need to wait until I have a reason to make them. :)
    {Stopping by from Ingredient Spotlight}

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...